Thursday, October 06, 2011

Striped Maxi Dress!!

Ok, so I finally finished my summer dress just in time for fall. LOL! There have to be some points earned for perseverance. Right??
The reason it has taken me so long to complete this project is because I made a colossal mistake on it after knitting half of the dress. It's the mistake every knitter will or has encountered. Gauge! So I had to walk away from it for a considerable amount of time before STARTING OVER! Half of this project was quite a bit of work. But I really wanted this dress! What's one to do? Fix it and vent later!
But on to the good stuff!!
I'm really pleased with how this turned out. It's sleeveless, if you're wondering.
Striped Maxi
I wanted a slim & simple collar.
So I ripped out the original ribbed band that I knit and opted for this.
I thought it looked too sweater-like for summer.
Striped Maxi Striped Maxi
Since I had a couple of request to see the sleeve, I snapped a couple of pics and added them to the gallery.
I was alone when these were taken, so there's noone modeling it.
But you can see just how lovely the armholes turned out. Inside and out.
Striped Maxi Dress Striped Maxi Dress
They're done in a simple 1x1 rib.
I'm quite proud of them!
Striped Maxi
It truly is ankle length and I really can't wait
to make one for fall!
Striped Maxi
How did I do on matching those stripes?
Striped Maxi
The weight is just heavy enough where you don't have to wear concealment garments underneath.
Isn't that really the purpose of summer dresses?
I sure wouldn't want to miss a cool breeze! Hee hee...
Striped Maxi
I'm going to be in this dress so much next summer!!

29 comments:

ItMakesYouSmile said...

Oh, my goodness, Monique. This was so worth persisting. It's just stunning, and you'll enjoy wearing it so much. Thank you for posting all the photos. I'd love to see what the bodice looks like.

Monique said...

Thank you so much! Yes, I'm already looking forward to next summer so that I can wear it all summer long! LOL!
I should have taken a pic without the jacket as well. I was just so excited about bringing that white jacket out of the closet. I don't have a lot in my wardrobe that it goes with.
But I will try to get a photo up of the dress without it.

Tracy said...

Your dress is stunning.
You can still wear it, it looks so cute with that blazer.

Monique said...

Thank you very much lady!

I don't know Tracy. We've got fall leaves now and this whole look screams spring/summer. LOL! I wish I had a trip to go on. One of the bloggers in the UK was writing about how hot it was there. It's ok. Think of it this way...I'll have a new outfit beginning next spring! :-))

vanda said...

Beautiful is the perfect compliment appearance without a jacket photos
Hello Vanda

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Very nice. I am trying to get back to my machine knittingbut am failing miserably!

Tana said...

Super cute! I've been curious to see how it turned out. Lucky you to be able to confidently pull off horizontal stripes. You look fabulous in this dress!

Eliana said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! It suits you so well! I love your dress, Monique!
Btw: great shots, as always ;)

Monique said...

Vanda-Thank you very much!

MKQ-Thank you. Why are you failing? Too many other things going on, like most of us? Well hopefully I can offer a bit of inspiration.

Tana-Thank you very much. I was curious too. LOL!

Eliana-Thank you so much! I'm also looking forward to your finished project and your (I'm sure) divalicious photoshoot!

deltapurl said...

LOVE!

sharonwue said...

What a great dress! Your FOs always inspire me.

Sheila said...

The maxi came out great and you did an awesome job on mattching the stripes... Go Miss Lady.

Monique said...

Deltapurl-Thank you very much! :)

Sharonwue-Thank you Sharon. I'm really glad. I love being an inpiration to other talented people.

Sheila-Thank you very much Sheila! Matching those stripes was my goal. Felt like it took so long to seam this. Felt like it went on for yards! LOL! It really didn't. I was just being very meticulous about matching it up.

Knitman said...

I am impressed. Classic elegance.

Adrienne said...

OMG! THIS IS STUNNING!!!!!!!!

Monique said...

Knitman & Adrienne-Your compliments are very flattering, ocming from such talented people. Thank you.

Ashleigh Nicole said...

love the maxi!

xo Ashleigh

www.thedaileigh.blogspot.com

knittinginatree said...

It's absolutely stunning! Nice work.

Madam Butterfly said...

Loved it! I am a big fan of blue and white!

Maggie said...

That is incredible! Congratulations on finishing! What a beautiful dress! I think that if I ran into gauge problems after all that work I would have thrown a fit, curled up in a corner and cried, and never looked at the thing again.

Monique said...

Ladies thank you very, very much!
Maggie-LOL! Believe me I wanted to. But I really, really wanted this dress! I'm so glad I finished it!

Anastacia Knits said...

i cannot believe you knitted a dress! that's unbelieveable! how cute is it, I can't believe how many hours it must have taken you!

btw, I'm anastaciaknits from ravelry; i'm doing the blog comment train :)

Eilene Brauner said...

I love this dress!!! You did a fabulous job and looks wonderful on you! It's a lot of work too.

Monique said...

Thank you ladies. Yes it was. Now I'm knitting one with sleeves. Even more work. LOL!

Ava said...

wow! nice job! Love it with the white shirt too.

Monique said...

Thank you Ava. Seems like I don't get to wear white jackets very much, so I'm always excited to pull this out of the closet. I really need to incorporate it into my S/S wardrobe more often.

Amy said...

You have a beautiful talent! I love the knit dress, especially with it being ankle length. It is so sexy and yet, I would feel so innocent and demure. I love clothes and I think knits are so beautiful! You go girl!
I am definitely following you I expect great things from you! Good luck!

Colourjam Arts - Acessórios said...

Wowwww I love this dress! Great work :) would love to have the skills to do it.

Jackie G.Loves said...

beautiful dress!

http://jackiegloves.blogspot.com